Global Journal for Research Analysis; Dr. Nimavat Dushyant; Volume 3; Issue: 1; ISSN NO
2277 – 8160; Jan 2014.
The Indian literary scenes have undergone as lot of changes as far as the women writing are concerned. Writers like Shashi Deshpande, Kiran Desai, Gita Mehta, Kamala Das have tried to give new life to women through their writings.
- Status is noted to be the most important amongst women because the levels of status of women are varied from country to country or even within different areas. In India there is a constant effort made to bring women out of their sufferings but many still are extra – patience, docile and bearing the sufferings without knowing their rights in the country.
- “History has proved that Indian women are capable of becoming a ruler, good in the administration, a wonderful organizer, and a tough fighter” (Nimavat Dushyant). Over the years Indian women have proved that they are stronger than what they are actually portrayed like. These are brought to the lime light in Indian literature slowly by the contemporary women writers.
- According to Nimavat, “Literature is not only a mirror. It is also a Map, a geography of he mind”. Literature talks about the sufferings faced by women. Women feel that literature is the best place to express them. Women writings usually fall under the feminist study.
- “Feminist is the concept of the theory that they are fighting for their rights, trying to break from the ideological form”.
- Women not just write to make their minds free from the usual sufferings but they wrote for providing awareness to other women in the society. Example; Anita Desai, Kamala Das, Kamala Markandaya, Nayantara Sahgal.